Saturday, October 20, 2007

moon and clouds

I was trying to take photographs of the crescent moon with earthshine through my telescope, but the moon disappeared behind a cloud bank. I took this picture when the moon peeked out for a minute.



I like the pink clouds lit by the setting sun. My exposure was 1/320th at f6.

This second photo was taken a little while later. There is still some light in the sky, but not on the clouds. This photo was taken at 1/160th. By the way, if you ever want to find out the times of moonrise and moonset (or sunrise and sunset) for your location, check out the U.S. Naval Observatory site: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php




Right after taking the first photo, I aimed the telescope at a jet plane with its contrail lit by the setting sun.



Now if I had the moon and plane in the same frame, that would be a good picture. I'm still trying for that photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment